ㄹ/을 리가 없다 (it can’t be)
This “ㄹ/을 리가 없다“ is used to express a disbelief in something that is possible. Hence translated in the English as follows. “it cannot be””that is impossible””there is no reason for that”.
When this grammar is used in a declarative form, it’s used in the negative form.
When it is used in an interrogative (question) form, it’s used in the affirmative form.
Example of ㄹ/을 리가 없다 (it can’t be):
- 사실일 리가 없다 “cannot be true”
- 있을 리가 없다 “there can’t be”
- 그럴 리가 없는데…”That cannot be possible…”
- 팀이 안 올 리가 없어! “There is no reason for him to not come!”
- 늦을 리가 없다 “There is no reason for delay”
- 당신이 아주 큰 그 남자를 놓칠 리가 없다. “You can‘t miss that man who is as big as a barn door”
Korean Grammar Beg. ~ 있다/없다 (to exist/to not exist) Next Post:
Korean Grammar Int. ~았던, 였던 (thing that I did)